I just wanted to let everyone know that both books, The Bones of the Earth and The Three Heretics, have received updates. Between the two of them, hundreds of errors and small improvements have been made. I expect this to be the final update to both of the books. Amazon should have already pushed out updates for Bones to previous owners; Heretics will *hopefully* have its updates sent out soon.
I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Every aspect of self-publishing has been a learning process for me, and it has taken some time to put together the right team of people to ensure this series is of the highest quality.
For those who have purchased paperbacks of either book, I… suck. I can’t patch those. But I can provide you with the updated eBooks. Also, I would be happy to give any of you the eBook of The Blood of Before for free when it is released later this year/early next year. Just contact me anyway you like, and I’ll be happy to hook you up and shower you in praise and apologies 😀
As for updates to other things:
The Blood of Before is going to be edited soon. Hannah and I have the cover planned out, and Hannah is going to be creating images to accompany each story. These images will be included in the novel.
The Cult of the Worm, Book Three, is coming along nicely. No reason why it won’t be out near year at some point.
Expect an announcement of a Kickstarter for the series very soon. Need to put the finishing touches on it.
Also, expect some marketing for the series now that the two books have been prettied up.
And finally, it’s looking like Bones and Heretics are going to be stocked in some local bookstores around here! Fingers crossed.
I have some really great news to share!
The Three Heretics has been completely edited and formatted. The cover is also finished. I submitted it last night to Createspace for review, and I expect to hear back from them today. As soon as I do, I’ll order a proof copy with the fastest shipping so that I can read it one more time in person.
If all goes well, The Three Heretics should be available to purchase on paperback and eBook by 10/7/1. For now, check it out here on Goodreads.
Until then, here is the final full cover and synopsis. It does contain some spoilers for those who haven’t reading The Bones of the Earth. Within the book itself, you’ll find a letter of appreciation from me, a map of the world, and the often-requested glossary.
(In the mean time, I’d like to update this site so that it matches the new book)
THE THREE HERETICS
we find heaven.
Vrana, now a grotesque shadow of her former self, has been enslaved by the Witch and forced into the Void. Meanwhile, the Corrupted involved in the genocide of Geharra and the birth of the Red Worm have begun to impose their worldviews on others.
King Edgar is abandoned in the Nameless Forest and forced into a murderous mission that not only reveals the origins of the vermillion veins, but the unholy events that have led to his rule of Eldrus.
Atticus, the undying gravedigger, seeks revenge against the king for the death of those he loves, while finding a way through the Black Hour itself to resurrect the dead.
Felix, the Holy Child, plagued by visions of Vrana in his sleep, tries to find a way to liberate her from her torment. Unsure who he can trust, he is pulled further into the darkness and treason all around him.
Taking place before, during, and after Vrana’s journey, The Three Heretics explores those three Corrupted who have, through subterfuge and slaughter, righteousness and reluctance, manipulated the world to their liking, while inadvertently bringing it closer to another Trauma.
Just wanted to share with you a new illustration by Jacquelyn Graff. This is her take on the Bloodless, a mythological plant that you will hear more about in the upcoming release, “The Three Heretics.”
A sneak preview of our final POV for “The Cult of the Worm.” This is Book Three in “The Bones of the Earth” series. Spoilers for those who haven’t read the first book.
(Weird to be releasing teasers for Book Three when Book Two isn’t even out yet, but hey, at least you all know I’m working!)
First off. I have some awesome images to share with you. All three of these come from Jacquelyn Graff, who is Hannah’s sister (Hannah is the illustrator for the novels, also, as of a few weeks ago, my fiance. Snap!)
Also, my brother and I have been practicing our movie making skills. Check out this masterpiece HERE (very rough. just trying to figure out the basics. goal is to one day film the first chapter of “The Bones of the Earth.”)
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve done any sort of update on the status of “The Three Heretics.” Everything is going very well so far, but there were a few things I wanted to wait on being finished before making this post.
“The Three Heretics” is being edited. It has been with the editor for a few weeks now. I can’t give an exact release date, because these processes can take a lot of time, but from the feedback I’ve received from my beta readers, it looks like people are really enjoying the novel. You can check out their reviews HERE
With the help of some friends, I’ve reconsidered what exactly I want to do with the horror anthology. Instead of being advertised as a standalone release that just so happens to have a connection to the “Bones” series, I’m going to make it part of the “Bones” series completely. So “The Bones of the Earth #.01”
The name of the horror anthology of pre-Trauma stories is called “The Blood of Before.” It contains five short stories and one novella, which I literally just finished a few minutes ago. I wrote about 5.5k words today, so I’m a little tuckered. The stories that will be in this anthology are: House of a Thousand Hearts, That Which Walks Behind the Graves, The Easiest Job in the World, Black Occult Macabre Vol. 1 Issue 7, Nights in White Satin, and The Black Hours.
Now that I’ve finished the novella (the Black Hours), I can get cracking on Book 3 in the “Bones” series, which is entitled, “The Cult of the Worm.” Probably need a day or two off to recover from writing, though. Need to refuel!
As for the awesome images from Jacquelyn, she’s expressed an interest in illustrating a lot of the plant life from the universe. She has an awesome talent for that kind of artwork. We’ve been kicking around the idea of creating a botanical guide written by Vrana’s mother, Adelyn, that we could sell as something cheap and fun for the fans.
I’ve been thinking about starting a Kickstarter for the universe. Not necessarily to fund Book 3, but to fund promoting the novel, going to conventions, buying supplies, and getting the word out there. I think the fact that there is already a product available to judge will make people a little more interested in backing the project.
That’s it for now! I’ll begin working on Book 3 soon. I have a couple of ideas for the next horror anthology, but that’s a release that will probably happen between Book 3 and 4. If anyone ever wants to ask me questions, interview me, whatever the hell ever, please, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m pretty much an open book, and I’d love to have any opportunity to be able to communicate with the community.
I’m glad you asked!
Well, as any writer will tell you, the first draft is not the last drive. As pretty as you make it, as much as you love it at that moment in time, when you go back to it months later, it ends up losing some of its luster. So while “The Three Heretics” is done, it still needs some loving before we move onto the editing stage. So for those who are interested, here is the plan for the months to come.
- Rewrite “The Three Heretics” completely. There’s not much to this. I open up the file, go to the beginning, pick an empty line, and start typing everything all over again, making changes as I go. This may seem like a long process, but honestly, it’s not too bad. This way, rather than reading it and correcting when an issue pops up, I’m reintroducing myself to the story, memorizing all the little details I may have forgotten, and fixing things on a more focused level. I anticipate the beginning chapters to take longer than the final chapters, as though were just finished and more representative of where I am at as a writer at this moment. All in all, I expect this process, as long as I don’t dick around too much, to only take like 2-3 weeks. It could be more. I don’t know. It is a really long book.
- Beta readers! Want to hear something crazy? People are actually coming to me, rather than me going to them, and offering to beta read my novel! That’s awesome. The fact that people are that excited and invested in the series already (and these are people that I met after I published “Bones,” not pre-existing friends) makes me very happy. So once the rewrites are complete, those who have expressed an interest in being beta readers will be contacted and given the second draft to tear apart, worship, read with a mild indifference, whatever.
- Hire an editor! Wait, no, no exclamation point. Hiring an editor is expensive, and like I said, this is a really long book. But, damn it, it has to be done. Unfortunately, Eve Marie, the editor for “Bones” will not be returning to edit this novel. While I wish that she could, editing was a side job that, at the moment, has to be put on the back burner as she works her full time job. No big deal! So while the beta readers are doing their beta reading business, I’ll be scouring the internet for an editor that I feel will serve “The Three Heretics” well … and make me look real good.
- While our currently unknown editor is editing, Hannah and I will be putting the finishing touches on the cover. We will also be getting the world map together, and I will be completing the introductory letter and the glossary. Also, we will be coming up with marketing strategies and community things we can take advantage to promote it. It is time to get serious!
- Editing takes awhile, so I anticipate I’ll have some time to do other things, too. I hope to have my horror anthology “Black Occult Macabre” out by October. While “The Three Heretics” is getting a makeover, I’ll be trying to write the last two stories for that anthology, which are “The Black Hour” and “Where the Dead Go to Die.” I’ll also be working on my brother and I’s Friday the 13th script. Who knows if anything will happen with that, but it will be fun and … you know … I heard the studio is struggling to move forward with the franchise. If you want some pointers or, like, a screenplay, don’t hesitate to e-mail me, bruhs.
- Once “The Three Heretics” is edited and my bank account is lessened because of editing, I’ll review all the corrections and integrate them correctly (unlike I did last time). Then, I’ll ughhhhh then I’ll format the Createspace and Kindle files so they don’t look like mutant freaks of novels.
- Then release! So what is the release date? I have no clue. I wanted it to be out this summer, preferably around when “The Bones of the Earth” was released, but who knows if that will happen. But I think we can get this done in the next few months. I want it out there real bad.
- June 10th is the one year anniversary of “The Bones of the Earth.” Obviously, going to have to do something special for that. But what? Hmm.
- Well, after all that is done, I guess I’ll just have to start on the next novel, which is entitled “The
See ya later!
A work in progress. A not-so-great picture of a screen, just to make the full reveal that much more fun.
To give each book in the series an identity that tells the readers “this is a Bones’ book,” commonalities will be shared between them. The front cover and back cover will generally mirror one another, with the protagonist being on the front and the antagonist on the back. However, in this case, an awfully familiar skeleton dude is chilling on the front. I don’t remember him being too nice. So who could possibly be on the back?