I’m glad you asked!
Well, as any writer will tell you, the first draft is not the last drive. As pretty as you make it, as much as you love it at that moment in time, when you go back to it months later, it ends up losing some of its luster. So while “The Three Heretics” is done, it still needs some loving before we move onto the editing stage. So for those who are interested, here is the plan for the months to come.
- Rewrite “The Three Heretics” completely. There’s not much to this. I open up the file, go to the beginning, pick an empty line, and start typing everything all over again, making changes as I go. This may seem like a long process, but honestly, it’s not too bad. This way, rather than reading it and correcting when an issue pops up, I’m reintroducing myself to the story, memorizing all the little details I may have forgotten, and fixing things on a more focused level. I anticipate the beginning chapters to take longer than the final chapters, as though were just finished and more representative of where I am at as a writer at this moment. All in all, I expect this process, as long as I don’t dick around too much, to only take like 2-3 weeks. It could be more. I don’t know. It is a really long book.
- Beta readers! Want to hear something crazy? People are actually coming to me, rather than me going to them, and offering to beta read my novel! That’s awesome. The fact that people are that excited and invested in the series already (and these are people that I met after I published “Bones,” not pre-existing friends) makes me very happy. So once the rewrites are complete, those who have expressed an interest in being beta readers will be contacted and given the second draft to tear apart, worship, read with a mild indifference, whatever.
- Hire an editor! Wait, no, no exclamation point. Hiring an editor is expensive, and like I said, this is a really long book. But, damn it, it has to be done. Unfortunately, Eve Marie, the editor for “Bones” will not be returning to edit this novel. While I wish that she could, editing was a side job that, at the moment, has to be put on the back burner as she works her full time job. No big deal! So while the beta readers are doing their beta reading business, I’ll be scouring the internet for an editor that I feel will serve “The Three Heretics” well … and make me look real good.
- While our currently unknown editor is editing, Hannah and I will be putting the finishing touches on the cover. We will also be getting the world map together, and I will be completing the introductory letter and the glossary. Also, we will be coming up with marketing strategies and community things we can take advantage to promote it. It is time to get serious!
- Editing takes awhile, so I anticipate I’ll have some time to do other things, too. I hope to have my horror anthology “Black Occult Macabre” out by October. While “The Three Heretics” is getting a makeover, I’ll be trying to write the last two stories for that anthology, which are “The Black Hour” and “Where the Dead Go to Die.” I’ll also be working on my brother and I’s Friday the 13th script. Who knows if anything will happen with that, but it will be fun and … you know … I heard the studio is struggling to move forward with the franchise. If you want some pointers or, like, a screenplay, don’t hesitate to e-mail me, bruhs.
- Once “The Three Heretics” is edited and my bank account is lessened because of editing, I’ll review all the corrections and integrate them correctly (unlike I did last time). Then, I’ll ughhhhh then I’ll format the Createspace and Kindle files so they don’t look like mutant freaks of novels.
- Then release! So what is the release date? I have no clue. I wanted it to be out this summer, preferably around when “The Bones of the Earth” was released, but who knows if that will happen. But I think we can get this done in the next few months. I want it out there real bad.
- June 10th is the one year anniversary of “The Bones of the Earth.” Obviously, going to have to do something special for that. But what? Hmm.
- Well, after all that is done, I guess I’ll just have to start on the next novel, which is entitled “The
See ya later!